Upgrade Your Sleep Space
Sleep is my jam. I have this new schedule that’s been playing Jedi mind tricks on me so it’s been important to kick the terrible habits the holiday SZN can bring and get back to a solid sleep flow. How is your sleep hygiene? Did you know that there are over 70 types of sleeping disorders? I believe, in some cases lack of sleep will cause or contribute to mental health issues; it's not just a symptom of one. For instance, the less sleep you're getting at night the less likely you will be able to tackle the stressors life throws at you on a daily. Less organization = more stress, agitation, irritation.. you get the idea. Those small tiny paper cuts that impact your mental health- yuck. After awhile you're inability to cope with the stressors (due to lack of sleep) catapults you into anxiousness, depression, and low esteem. Coincidence? I think not. Sometimes when I'm overwhelmed I need to go in full force. Not necessarily full Chakras and Spencer Pratt crystals, but pretty close to finding all of the resources I need to get me where I need to be and right on track. So this week, let's bring out all the resources and upgrade the sleep space.
Positive Distraction of The Week
Let's get you together this week. Here are a few tips to incorporate in your routine this week:
- Be consistent: follow a regular bedtime and wake up routine.
- Reduce the amount of stimulant use prior to bedtime: i.e. caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, and electronics.
- Meditate and incorporate soothing music playlists to bring you into a healthier habit conducive to sleeping.
- Create a space to sleep that promotes only sleeping. Make sure you're able to turn your brain [off] when entering the bedroom.
- On the weekends lay as long as you can and practice waking up slowly.
- Tackle the senses: incorporate aromatherapy to induce sleep mode and calm your nervous system i.e.: essential oils, plugins, diffuser reeds, steam mists, etc.
Also, feel free to check out some awesome products that I use that help you upgrade your sleep and promote a healthy productive week after solid rest.
Shop My Sleep Essentials
1. MARPAC: check out the MarPac sound conditioner. This company has been around since the 1960’s and all products are made in the good ol’ USA. #merica. The product has a fantastic motor and allows you to adjust the speed and sound of the output. These can also act as a sound screen if maybe you are a light sleeper or even in professional practices. On occasion I need some sort of white noise to go to sleep. Television wasn’t conducive for me, because I found myself watching too many episodes of Forensic Files and actually not sleeping properly read: scared of every single shadow after each episode. I decided to think about ways to increase my sleep quality for my overall functioning in the week. I can sleep through noises, but not if it’s dead quiet. My research and writing style is also conducive in the same environment as well read: see ya later barking dogs + traffic. The MarPac is a fabulous sleep upgrade. If you're not hip to the benefits of white noise game, let me educate you quickly! White noise can help you build (aforementioned) bedtime ritual. I like to turn on the machine 45 minutes before I need to go to sleep because it helps to keep the bedroom quiet, shut down my brain from overthinking, and once I am asleep, I tend to stay asleep with this machine and I sleep more soundly. Additionally MarPac has created a PORTABLE sleep machine that you can take your white noise any where. Their portable machine is great for hotels or staying in spaces that you're not used to!
2. SLIP: check out the SLIP silk pillowcase and sleeping mask. The SLIP pillowcase is made of the highest grade mulberry silk for the ultimate beauty sleep. The SLIP case is natural, hypoallergenic, and allows skin to breathe, unlike synthetic satin (polyester) which sweats, essentially negating the benefits. It does not contain toxic dyes and is recommended by dermatologists, plastic surgeons, hairdressers, and beauty experts. Since cotton is very absorbent, it can hold up to 27 times its own weight in water and it draws moisture away from your skin and hair. When you sleep on silk, delicate facial skin is more hydrated in the morning and hair becomes healthier over time. Cotton pillowcases also cause sleep creases, which go away later that day but can cause fine lines and wrinkles over time. This pillowcase and face mask is Lit. It has completely transformed my sleeping experience and I'm never going back to cotton pillowcases. It almost feels too good to sleep on. This is one of those products you don't really know you need until you have it. My strongest critique of the item is that there is no fastening so as you move around so does the case.
3. PHILLIPS: the Philips light therapy wake up light features 20 different colored brightness settings, the steadily increasing light beginning at 20 to 30 minutes prior to your scheduled alarm time provides a colored sunrise simulation that gives you an extra nine minutes of sleep that you can place on your nightstand. It can dual as a bedside lamp as well! What I enjoy about this lamp compared to the traditional alarm is the increased energy and concentration I have in the morning from a progressive wakeup.
3. VOTIVO: the Votivo perfumed diffuser has been one of my most prized discoveries. Normally, I am a bit skeptical of the power of diffusers, however these outlasts most of the other diffusers I have bought from other companies. The reeds are of superior quality (none of that splitting business), and this is a super nice touch to upgrade your sleep space as the scented unit effectively fills even the largest of space. What I really love about this product is the simple design of bottle and it's packaging (of course). Votivo is one of the best companies to product this product, so be sure to check them out so you don't waste your time on the rest.
3. DREAM ESSENTIALS: the Dream Essentials lavender aromatherapy sleep mask is a quality alternative to the SLIP silk sleep mask with the added bonus of some aroma therapy. The mask hugs the eye cavities limiting any light to enter while applied on the face and there is a secret pocket entry that you can slip in the provided lavender satchel! I had to include this mask on my essential list, because this is my absolute favorite mask to travel with. As you know from the essential oil guide, lavender helps to promote sleep and tranquility. This mask is super soft and has an adjustable strap for the ultimate comfort.
Feel free to share the love via the links below to someone who could also use a few slumber upgrade ideas. Thanks so much for following up this week. I'm already looking forward to session with you next week. You can like this post below via heart-moji and be sure to share this with a friend. Follow-up in one week!
Best, Dr. Dyce
+Many thanks to SLIP, MarPac, and Dream Essentials for their support in this blog. This is not a sponsored post + products were provided for editorial consideration. These are not affiliated links- I do not receive comensation for product selection. All opinions and thoughts about the businesses featured are my own. I stay true to the philosophy and mission of your weekly followup.